When my helper (ie husband) got home he wasn't to excited, he knew he had just got roped into a project bigger than I thought it was going to be. And he wasn't sold he would like it.
Down came ugly light. We hoped the chandelier inside the light would slide right into the birdcage, no luck.
Luckily for us, hubby and I both had to take electrical classes in college and decided to tackle taking apart the light, and rewire it so it would fit, how difficult could it be??
Well a full day of work for hubby, two trips to Home Depot, and a all afternoon search for a threaded coupling with a wire hole in it (4 custom light shops later we found something that worked). We had a wired chandelier.
Off to the paint booth....we sprayed it antique copper. I wanted ORB but the chain hanging is brass and we really didn't want to take that down. Our 20ft ladder wasn't tall enough to reach that high.
After it was painted, its assembly time...Another almost day of labor of tweeks.
Engineering how the light would safely attach to the birdcage and house the wire connections was the hardest part for us. Our birdcage didn't have a nice top that could be cut out to make a clean attachment to the chandelier. 3 fixture ceiling covers, screws, and lots of cursing later hubby had it!
Three days of labor later we have light! Now that it is hung there are a few small tweeks that need to be done to the housing, and we need to get a few more bulbs. A few didnt make it thru our journey, but that will wait a few days...or maybe weeks or months...and we found a definite appreciation for why chandeliers cost what they do! But we love it!
Shared on: Knick of Time Vintage Style Link
Home Stories A 2 Z Techniques and Tips
Thrifty Decor Chick Before and After
Savy Southern Style Wow us Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants Hot Stuff
Shabby Creek Cottage Transformation Thursday
Beyond the Picket Fence Under $100
Craft Happy Scrappy
The Rooster and the Hen